Vazhaipoo Cutlets, Banana blossom cutlets recipe. Cutlets made with vazhaipoo, potatoes and spices. Kerala syrian christian style Vazhaipoo cutlets. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 3 cups banana blossom, cleaned and finely chopped
- 500 grams potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves, chopped
- 5 green chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 egg
- 6 slices bread, ground to crumbs
- Vegetable Oil to deep fry
Making the cutlet mixture
- Heat oil in a pan and when the oil is hot, add in the cumin seeds. Add in the chopped onions, chopped curry leaves and green chillies. if you like your cutlets spicy, add more chopped green chillies.
- Add in the crushed ginger-garlic. Saute for a few minutes till the onions are soft.
- Add in the chopped vazhaipoo / banana blossom and the salt. Add in the black pepper powder and garam masala powder.
- Saute for 10 minutes till all the moisture from the vazhaipoo is drawn out and the mixture looks dry. The mixture would have almost reduced by half and there will be no more moisture left.
- Now add in the potatoes. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Once the mixture is cool, form the cutlets. If you are facing difficulty forming the cutlets, add a little extra potatoes so its easier to shape. Shape the cutlets and press gently on the sides so the sides are tight and shape well.
Breading for the cutlets
- Take a bowl and beat one egg. Set aside.
- Run a few bread slices in a mixie to make bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Dip the cutlets in egg. Roll the dipped cutlets in breadcrumbs. Set aside on a plate.
- Gently try to shape the cutlets again so the breadcrumbs adhere to the cutlets well. gently pat the cutlets with your fingers.
- Now, refrigerate the shaped cutlets for at-least an hour. This will ensure that the cutlets dont separate in oil while frying.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying. Gently lower the cutlets in hot oil.
- Cook the cutlets on both sides until golden brown.
- Remove the cutlets from oil. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Kerala