Easy recipe for Vahakkai Vadai. Plantain Vadai. Authentic family recipe thats always a hit. With step by step pictures.
- Measurements Used – 1 Cup = 250 ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml, 1 tablespoon = 15 ml.
Ingredients for grinding
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1 medium sized onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 1 clove
- 1 cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon khuskhus – white poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 green chilli
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 5 stalks coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Vazhakkai / Raw Banana / Plantain
- 1/2 cup fried gram / pottu kadalai
- 500 ml Vegetable oil
- Take the fried gram dal / pottu kadalai and make it to a fine powder in a small mixie jar / spice grinder.
- Steam the plantain in an idli vessel for 10-12 minutes or cook in a pressure cooker for just 1 whistle. Peel the skin and set aside.
- Add in all the ingredients listed under grinding into a mixie / blender and grind it to a smooth paste. Add very little water while grinding.
- When the mixture is very finely ground, add in the peeled plantains and pulse it a few times. The plantains should get incorporated with the masala mixture.
- Remove the mixture from the mixie and add in the fried gram powder. Mix well to combine.
- Apply little oil to your hands. Make small 1.5 inch balls with your hands.
- Refrigerate the balls for 30 minutes before frying.
- Heat oil in a pan in medium heat. Once the oil is hot, fry the balls in low medium flame until golden. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Serve hot.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu, South Indian