Recipe for Paya – Veg version. Perfectly goes will with idli. Recipe for veg paya with step by step pictures.
Veg Paya Masala
- 7–8 cashew nut
- 1 tablespoon khus khus, white poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon ready made chicken masala
- 2 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoon moong dal
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil / sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 1 clove
- 1 cardamom
- 1 teaspoon kalpasi (stone flower)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 whole green chillies
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- Cook the moong dal and set aside. Grind all the ingredients listed under paya masala to a smooth paste adding about a cup of water while grinding. Set aside
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the fennel seeds, cinnamon, clove, cardamom and kalpasi.
- Add in the finely chopped onions, whole green chillies and saute for five minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes are soft.
- Add in the ground masala paste, two cups water and the cooked moong dal. Cover the pan and let the veg paya simmer for 15 minutes on a low flame.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: curry
- Cuisine: South Indian