Vegetable Kozhukattai, Veg Kaara Kozhukattai recipe made with soaked and ground brown rice along with vegetables and aromatics. These steamed dumplings are perfect for breakfast or dinner.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon gingely oil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon chana dal
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
- 3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 3 cups finely shredded vegetables (carrot, cabbage and beans)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Soak brown rice for 3 hours. Drain the water from the soaked rice. Grind the rice with 1 cup water. Grind to a really smooth fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil (gingely oil) in a pan and add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, finely chopped ginger, finely chopped curry leaves and the chana dal. Let the mustard seeds splutter and the dal brown.
- Add in the onions and green chillies. Saute for 2-3 minutes until the onions are cooked and slightly starting to brown.
- Add in the veggies and the salt. Cook until the veggies are half done for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the ground rice mixture and stir with a spatula. The rice mixture will immediately thicken up into a mass of dough. Set aside.
- Let the dough become warm. When the dough is still warm, dip your hands in cold water and take a small lemon size ball of dough. Press the dough a little to form oblong shaped dumplings. Set aside.
- Place the dumplings on an idli plate or any flat plate and steam it for 15 minutes on a medium flame.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney, red chutney or kara chutney.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu