Tamil style vendakkai mor kuzhambu recipe made with coconut. Easy mor kulambu recipe. Tamilnadu style simple more kuzhambu recipe made with vegetables / ladies finger – step by step pictures and video.
For the Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu Paste
- 1 tablespoon toor dal
- 1 tablespoon par boiled rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 2 green chillies
- 1/4 inch piece ginger
- 2 small onions / Indian shallots
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
Other Ingredients for Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu
- 1 tablespoon Indian sesame oil
- 1.5 cups diced ladies finger
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt / curd
For tempering Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu
- 1/2 teaspoon Indian sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5 Indian shallots, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- First we will make a paste for making Vendakkai mor kuzhambu. Soak the toor dal and par boiled rice (puzhungal arisi) in half a cup of water for 20 minutes. Add in the rest of the ingredients listed under Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu paste. Grind these ingredients in a small mixie jar to a smooth paste. This will be the base for making our Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the diced Vendakkai / ladies finger. Add in the salt and saute for 5-7 minutes till the ladies finger is no longer slimy and slightly roasted. Add in the turmeric powder and saute for a few seconds.
- Add in the ground paste and little water to dilute the gravy. Adjust for seasoning by adding salt. Let the curry simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Whisk the curd / plain yogurt well and add it to the pan. You can also run the curd in a mixie (pulse once or twice) and add it for a smooth gravy. Immediately switch off the flame. Cooking the curd may curdle the kuzhambu.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the urad dal and mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the sliced shallots and saute till the shallots are nice and golden. The nicely browned golden shallots adds a nice aroma to the Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu. Once the shallots are brown, add in the curry leaves and dried red chillies. Add the tempering to the Mor Kuzhambu gravy. Mix well and serve with hot rice.