Recipe for spicy Tamilnadu style vendhaya kuzhambu made with roasted fenugreek seeds and masala. Recipe for vendhaya kuzhambu with step by step pictures.
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 teaspoon gingely oil (Indian sesame oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 20 Indian shallots (small onions)
- gooseberry size tamarind
- 2 teaspoon sambar powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery
- 1/3 cup fresh coconut
- Dry roast the fenugreek seeds until golden. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Heat gingely oil in a pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds and asafoetida (hing). Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add in the curry leaves.
- Add in the finely chopped small onions. Saute the onion for five minutes.
- Soak the tamarind in a cup of water for 15 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind to release all the pulp. Discard the seeds and set aside. Add in the tamarind pulp to the pan. Along with the pulp, also add in a cup of water.
- Add in the sambar powder, salt and a little piece of jaggery.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer the curry on a low flame for about 15 minutes.
- Take a small mixie jar and add in the fresh coconut and roasted fenugreek seeds. Add a quarter cup of water and grind the mixture to a smooth paste.
- Add in the ground paste and simmer the curry for just couple of minutes. Do not simmer for a long time.
- Serve the curry hot with rice.
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu