Recipe for white pattani kuzhambu for rice and roti. Dry peas kuzhambu South Indian Tamilnadu style recipe. With step by step pictures.
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 1 clove
- 1 cardamom
For Coconut Paste
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoon fried gram (pottu kadalai)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu)
- 1 cup white dry peas
- 2 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 green chillies
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- Soak the peas in water over nite. Wash the peas after soaking and drain the peas. Set aside.
- Grind the tomatoes with ginger, garlic and spices (clove, cinnamon and cardamom) to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the chopped onions. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the ground masala paste, salt, turmeric, coriander powder and red chilli powder. Add in the green chillies and drained peas. Add in the peeled and chopped potatoes and two cups of water.
- Cover the pressure pan and cook on a low flame for 20 minutes – (about 15 whistles). Remove from heat and allow the pressure from the cooker to settle naturally.
- Grind coconut, fried gram (pottu kadalai), fennel seeds (sombu) with quarter cup of water to a smooth paste.
- Add the ground paste and curry leaves to the kuzhambu. If the curry is very thick, add in little water to dilute and simmer the curry for 10 more minutes.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu