Recipe for Christmas fruit cake made with 100% whole wheat Atta and sweetened with Jaggery. Moist and rich Christmas Plum Cake. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 250 grams dry fruits of your choice
- 200 grams jaggery
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon dry ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 30 grams extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 225 grams whole wheat atta
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Chop the dry fruits and set aside.
- Take a pan and add in the water and the jaggery. Simmer and let all the jaggery melt. Once its melted, strain the jaggery water. Heat the strained jaggery back on the pan and add in the dry fruits. Add in the spice powders, salt and oil. Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to completely cool.
- Once cool, whisk the eggs and add it to the fruit mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl. Add in the fruit mixture to the flour and mix well with a wooden spatula.
- Grease and flour a 6 x 3 inch round cake pan. Line the pan with parchment paper. Transfer the cake batter to the pan. Make sure that the batter is not more than 3/4th of the height of the pan. I had a little batter left and I poured it in a 3 inch cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour in a preheated oven set to 325 F / 160 C.
- After 45 minutes, insert a tooth pick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If the tooth pick has a little batter sticking, bake for 10-15 minutes more and check again.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan until room temperature. Run a knife on the sides of the cake pan to release the cake sticking to the sides. Gently invert the pan and remove the cake from the pan and store it in an air tight container. The flavor of the cake improves the next day..
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Western