Get inspired by the legendary Turkish soup below, as a beloved classic.
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- ¼ cup bulgur, rinsed and drained
- 7 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (and optionally 1 tablespoon hot red pepper paste)
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried mint ((unless you have fresh mint)
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes / paprika flakes
- Juice of a lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Start with putting the lentils, bulgur, chopped onions and water in a saucepan. Bring it to boil and then turn it down to a low heat, let it simmer until all the ingredients are soft (which usually takes between 30-40 minutes). Make sure to stir occasionally and check if the mixture is drying out (if so, add some extra hot water). Then, add in olive oil (or butter), dried mint, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste. Mix everything well and simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Add the lemon juice and more water if required (until it has a creamy consistency). And season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges and welcome the cold season!
- Category: Soups
- Cuisine: World