Recipe for Tamilnadu style brinji rice made with vegetables and coconut. This veg brinji is very flavorful tamil style recipe. Measurements used 1Cup approx 250 ml
Ingredients for marination
- 1/2 cup peas, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 cup coconut paste (1/4 cup coconut ground with 1/4 cup water to a fine paste)
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste ( 6 cloves garlic and 1 inch piece ginger ground with little water)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup (250 ml) basmati rice
For final layering
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- 3 bay leaves, crushed
- 2 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/3 cup light coconut milk
- 2/3 cup water
- Place all the ingredients listed under marination in a wide bowl. Mix well to combine. Marinate for one hour.
- Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for one hour.
- Take a 3 liter pressure cooker and add in the ghee. Top it with chopped onions and tomato.
- Add in half the quantity of marinated veggies along with its juices.
- Drain the basmati rice and add it on top of the veggies to form an even layer.
- Add in the remaining veggies.
- If using induction stove (recommended), cook the brinji at 800W for 15 minutes or 2 whistles whichever is earlier.
- If using gas stove, cook on medium heat for 2 whistles.
- Switch of the flame and remove from heat.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Wait for 20 minutes.
- Open the pan and fluff up the rice. Enjoy!
If using ready made ginger garlic paste, use just 2 teaspoon as its concentrated.
When layering, make sure the veggies totally cover the rice layer.
The term OPOS and One Pot One Shot are registered trademarks owned by Mr.Ramakrishnan. The recipes have been adapted using his OPOS principle. They are used in Kannamma Cooks with prior permission.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu