- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (Indian gingely oil)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 bay leaves, broken
- 1 teaspoon kalpasi
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- juice of half a lime / lemon
- 5 eggs, boiled and peeled
For the spice masala paste
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 3 green chillies
- 1/2 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1 cardamom
- 1 clove
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
Coconut Masala paste
- 1/3 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 5 cashewnut
- 2 teaspoon fried gram dal (pottukadalai)
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the bay leaves, curry leaves, kal pasi (stone flower) and cumin seeds. Saute for a minute on low flame.
- Once the spices are sauteed and aromatic, add in the sliced onions and saute till the onions are slightly brown..
- Add in the spice masala paste. Add in the salt. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and saute for a minute.
- Add in the turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder and saute for 2-3 minutes till the masala is well fried and almost dry.
- Add the coconut masala paste along with two cups of water.
- Add in the boiled eggs to the curry. Let the curry simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and add in the coriander leaves and the lemon juice.
- Serve the curry with red rice.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: tamilnadu