- 2 teaspoon Sesame/Gingely oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 6–7 curry leaves
- 1/2 cup shallots or 1 red onion chopped
- 2 green chillies (I use the thai chillies or the serrano variety)
- 1/2 cup whole moong dal (mung bean)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- Soak the dal in water for an hour.
- Pressure cook the moong dal with the water for a good 10 minutes or 5-6 whistles.
- Heat oil in a saute pan, add the cumin and curry leaves. Let it splutter.
- When the cumin splutters, add the shallots or onions, green chillies and salt.
- Saute for a good 5 minutes in low flame until the onions are translucent and starting to brown.
- Remove from heat and mix in the cooked dal and grind it in a mixie/food processor until smooth.
- Serve hot with rice and ghee
You can add or omit the green chillies according to your spice levels.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: South Indian