Recipe for Tamilnadu style poondu rasam. Very good for digestion and very tasty.
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (gingely / nallennai)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- a big pinch asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper corns
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1/2 a lime size tamarind
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 cups water (750 ml)
- Grind the cumin and pepper in a mortar and pestle. Also roughly crush the garlic cloves along with its peel. Soak tamarind in 1 cup of water for 20 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind to make tamarind pulp. Discard the seeds and the pith. Add 2 cups of water to the tamarind pulp. Set aside. We have 3 cups of liquid now.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and compound asafoetida. Let the seeds splutter.
- Add in the crushed garlic and fry for a minute to roast the garlic. Add in the cumin-pepper powder and fry for 20 seconds.
- Now add in the tamarind pulp and reduce the flame to low. Add in the curry leaves and turmeric. The rasam will slowly foam up and slightly start to boil. Switch off the flame.
- Add in the chopped green chillies, coriander leaves and the salt.
- Cover the rasam with a lid and allow the flavours to steep for 15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Rasam
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu