Soft Idli batter using Mixie. Idli batter ground in the mixie. Soft and fluffy idlies using mixie method. With tips for fermenting idli batter in cold weather.
- 1 1/4 Cups Urad Dal
- 4 Cups Idly Rice (1 liter)
- 1 cup thick poha / avalakki
- 1 tablespoon Fenugreek seeds (Vendhayam)
- 2 tablespoon Salt
- Soak all the ingredients except salt in lots of water. Soak the ingredients separately.
- Grind the soaked and drained fenugreek seeds along with the soaked poha/avalakki . Add a cup of water and grind for 3 minutes until the seeds and poha are finely ground and have fluffed up. Remove the ground poha mixture and empty it into a big vessel.
- Now, add the drained urad dal in the mixie. Add in a cup of ice water. Grind for 3 minutes till the urad dal is perfectly smooth. Remove the ground urad dal mixture and add it to the vessel.
- Now grind the drained rice in 3-4 batches. Add upto 1.5 cups of water while grinding. Remove the ground rice mixture and add it to the vessel.
- Add in the salt and mix the batter well with hands. Let the batter sit in a warm place. Allow the batter to ferment for 8-10 hours. Once fermented, mix well and store it in the refrigerator.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu