Quick and easy recipe for Beetroot poriyal . South Indian Tamilnadu style steamed vegetable stir-fry . Its healthy and vegan too.
- 500 grams Beetroot diced (about 2 big beets)
- 2 teaspoon peanut oil (sesame,sunflower or vegetable oil works fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies chopped (thai or serrano)
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 big red onion chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoon shredded coconut
- Steam the beetroot to your preference.( al-dente or fully cooked)
- Heat oil in a saute pan and add in the urad dal, mustard seeds and the cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add in the green chillies, ginger and curry leaves all at once. Fry for a bare minute.
- Add in the onions and the salt. Saute until soft and tender.
- Add in the steamed beetroot and saute until combined. Add in the shredded coconut and toss to combine.
- Remove from heat and serve with hot rice.
- Category: Stir-Fry
- Cuisine: South Indian