- 8–10 small brinjals
- 1/4 cup besan – chickpea flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon hing – asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- First clean and wash the brinjals. Make sure you choose small ones of roughly the same size so they cook quickly and evenly. Cut the tops. Cut a cross till 3/4 th of the brinjal’s bottom.
- Mix together besan (chickpea flour), cumin seeds, red chilli powder, hing (asafoetida) and salt. Set aside.
- Take a spoon and fill the cross in the brinjal with the masala powder. After filling just press in between your fingers to make sure the masalas adhere well to the brinjal.
- Heat oil in a pan on low flame. You will need a flat pan so the brinjals cook evenly. Place the stuffed brinjals and cover it with a lid.
- Just pour some water on the lid and let it cook for 15-20 minutes.Turn the brinjals every 3-4 minutes so it cooks evenly all around. Once the brinjals are cooked, switch off the flame and let it rest for 10 minutes with a covered lid.
- Remove the brinjals from the pan and serve hot with rice and ghee.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: South Indian