Kerala restaurant style tomato fry recipe made with onion and tomatoes. How to make Kerala tomato fry / onion tomato fry for roti and chapati. Recipe with step by step pictures / images.
Main Ingredients required for making Tomato Fry recipe Kerala Style
- 1.5 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 pod garlic (around 10–12 cloves)
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tomatoes, sliced
- 4–5 green chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
Here is how to make Tomato Fry Recipe Kerala Style
- Heat coconut oil in a kadai / pan and add in the mustard seeds and fennel seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the crushed ginger and garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes. The garlic should be slightly brown here and there. Add in the onions, salt and the curry leaves.
- Saute for 4-5 minutes till the onions are soft. I like to cover the kadai with a lid and saute every couple of minutes so it does not scorch at the bottom. Covering the kadai with a lid creates a lot of steam and thereby cooks the onion fast. The onions need not brown. We are looking for the onions to get soft and juicy.
- Now add in the sliced tomatoes and the green chillies. Also add in a teaspoon of turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Adjust the chilli powder according to your taste. I like to use a combination of green chillies and red chilli powder in Tomato Fry recipe. The green chillies give a sharp bite while the red chilli powder gives nice colour and aroma.
- Cover and cook for a good 6-7 minutes. The tomatoes will become juicy and start to ooze its moisture. Keep sauteing till the tomatoes are cooked and juiced down. Now, this is not very traditional but I added half a teaspoon of sugar to balance the spicy masala and the sour tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes are juiced down, the tomato fry is done. Do not cook for long. You want it a little on the moist side so you can scoop up the tomatoes with roti or chapati.
- Fantastic Tomato Fry Kerala style recipe is ready! Serve it with roti / chapati.
This chutney stays good in the refrigerator for upto 3 days.
Keywords: Tomato Fry