Recipe for spicy and tangy tomato pudina chutney, country style. This recipe goes so well with idli, dosa and even ragi mudde. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 2–3 teaspoon sesame oil (Indian Gingely oil)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3 green chillies
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 medium sized onions, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 4 ripe Indian country tomatoes, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon tamarind
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery or sugar
- 2 cup mint leaves
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the curry leaves and green chillies. Add in the garlic cloves and saute for a minute.
- Add in the sliced onions and salt. Saute for a couple of minutes. Add in the chopped tomatoes.
- When the tomatoes are well cooked and dry, add in the fresh shredded coconut. Add in the tamarind and a small piece of jaggery. If you dont have jaggery, add a pinch of sugar. The jaggery rounds the flavour of the chutney.
- Saute for a couple of minutes. Add in the mint leaves.
- Saute the mint leaves for a minute and remove from heat.
- Once the mixture is cool, grind to a smooth paste in a mixie with quarter cup of water. Do not add a lot of water while grinding. The chutney needs to be thick.
- Serve the chutney with idli, dosa and even ragi mudde.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu