- Measurements Used – 1 Cup = 250 ml
- 1/2 cup Urad dal
- 2.5 cups rice flour (store bought)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ajwain seeds (Omam Seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Sesame Seeds ( Ellu )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 to 3 cups of water
- 750 ml Vegetable Oil / Refined Peanut Oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak half cup of urad dal in 1.5 cups of water for 20 minutes. Then pressure cook the dal with the water for 6 whistles. Switch off the flame and let the pressure in the cooker release naturally. Open the cooker and mash the dal with the back of the spoon. Set aside.
- Add rice flour, salt, Ajwain seeds (Omam seeds), Sesame seeds (ellu) and butter.
- Mix everything well and add water little by little to form a smooth ball. The dough should be smooth and there should not be any cracks in the dough.
- Form small logs and fill in the murukku press.
- Heat oil until hot. Press the murukku dough from murukku press on a ladle and use the ladle to gently drop the murukku in hot oil. Remove the murukkus from oil once the bubbles in the oil settles down. Store murukkus in an air tight container for up-to 2 weeks.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu, South Indian