My dads recipe for South Indian hotel style mixed vegetable kurma recipe with step by step photos. Mixed vegetable curry for chapati/ghee rice. Side dish.
For the Puree
- 4 Big Ripe Tomatoes
- 2 inch Ginger
- 10 Cloves Garlic
- 10 Whole Cashewnut
- 3 Tablespoon khus khus /white poppy seed
- 4 Tbs shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 cup Potatoes diced
- 1 cup Peas
- 1 cup Cauliflower florets
- 1 cup Carrots diced
- 1 cup Beans diced
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 inch bark Cinnamon
- 3 Cloves whole
- 3 Cardamom Whole
- 2 Red Onion Chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 500 ml water
- The paste: Grind the ginger and garlic with a little water into a smooth paste and set aside. Grind the tomatoes to a smooth puree. No need to strain. Set aside. Grind the cashew and khus khus with a little water to a smooth paste and set aside. Grind the coconut with a little water to a smooth puree.
- Boil the veggies until Al-dente. Reserve the water used for boiling.
- In a wide saute pan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add in the cloves,cardamom and cinnamon.
- Add in the onions and fry till translucent.
- Add in the ginger garlic paste, salt and fry until little streaks of oil come out of the mixture.
- Now add in the tomatoes and the spice masala mixture and let it simmer in low flame for 10 minutes.
- Now add in the boiled veggies and the reserved water and boil for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cashew-khus khus paste
- Add the coconut paste
- Boil for a mere minute after adding the above two pastes. Do not let it boil for long.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Chapati or Ghee rice.
- Category: Gravy
- Cuisine: South Indian