Recipe for crispy and crunchy Onion Pakkavada. South Indian, Tamilnadu style. Foolproof recipe.
- Measurement Used – 1 Cup = 250 ml and 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 1 1/4 Cup Besan / Kadalai Maavi
- 3/4 Cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda / Aapa Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 2 Big Onions, sliced
- 7–8 sprigs Curry Leaves, finely chopped
- 6 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger, Crushed
- 10 Garlic Cloves , Crushed
- 15 Cashewnut, broken in half
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil for making dough
- 3/4 cup Water
- Vegetable Oil for frying Pakkavada
- Take all the ingredients together and add 3/4 cup of water and mix well. Do not add all the water at once. Add slowly.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Take small pieces and drop them in oil. No need to shape them. Just drop them gently in oil. Fry in medium hot oil until the bubbles from the oil settle and the pakkavada is golden.
- Remove the pakkavada carefully using a slotted spatula. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve the pakkavada. The pakkavada can be stored for up to two days at room temperature. It stays crisp.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu