This is an ideal recipe which makes that rustic soft bun that toasts well, takes in all the juices without becoming mushy. Its a soft whole wheat healthy bun. Whole wheat healthy bread.
- 1/2 cup water plus 1/4 cup barely warm water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon melted butter to brush the buns
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour for kneading- Bench flour
Prove the yeast
- Mix in the yeast, warm water and a pinch of sugar and set aside for 5 minutes to foam
- Mix salt, whole wheat flour and all purpose flour with a whisk to combine
Kneading and baking
- In a big bowl combine the yeast mixture, water, sugar, butter and the flour mixture briefly and set aside for 15 minutes to hydrate the dough.
- Now knead the dough for a good 5 minutes by hand until the dough comes together and forms a rough ball. It will still be very very tacky.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl ,cover it and let it rise in a warm place for one hour until doubled.
- After risen, deflate the dough gently and divide it into 6 equal parts.
- Shape it into 6 smooth balls using the cup of your hands.
- Place it in an oiled sheet pan, gently press the tops, brush the tops with butter and sprinkle the seeds generously.
- Now let them rise again for about an hour. In the mean time preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Bake the buns for about 15-18 minutes, turning the pans once to help in even baking. Once out of the oven cool the buns on a rack.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American