This is an OPOS – One Pot One Shot recipe.
# This recipe works well ONLY in a 2 or 3 liter Indian style pressure cooker. Do not use a big cooker without adjusting the quantity. It wont work. Do not scale the recipe up or down. Use exact measurements and equipment.
Generally, making of thokku / thick chutney can be very laborious which includes sauteing the veggies in oil for not less than 30-40 minutes. Thokku made using OPOS just takes 5 minutes on the stove. You might think that pressure cooking might just steam the onion. “A paste of steamed onions with spices is the last thing you wanna eat. Its aghast.” But you are in for a surprise. There is a catch. We will not be adding any water while cooking. The onions are going to caramelize in its own juices in high heat for a short time. Believe me, this recipe is one of the best things that has happened to me in cooking.
I tried this recipe 3-4 times so far and the flavor has been phenomenal. If you are worried about burning the bottom of your pressure cooker, don’t be.
Hope you enjoy the video!
Enjoy your thokku with rice, idli, dosa etc…
Tamil style recipe for vengaya thokku / onion chutney. Easy recipe using one pot one shot method. Just takes 5 minutes to make this thokku. Video recipe.
- 6 teaspoon sesame oil
- 250 grams sliced onions ( 3 medium sized onions ).
- 5–10 dry red chillies.
- 1″ coin size.tamarind
- 1 teaspoon of jaggery.
- 1 teaspoon of home made / store bought sambar powder.
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Take a pressure cooker (2 or 3 litres capacity only) and add 6 teaspoon of Indian sesame oil /gingely oil (nallennai).
- Add in 250 grams sliced onions ( 3 medium sized onions ).
- Add in 5-10 dry red chillies. (Add 5 chillies if you want a moderately spiced thokku / chutney. Increase the chillies if you want a spicy chutney.)
- Add a small piece of tamarind. About a 1″ coin size. Add in a teaspoon of jaggery. and a teaspoon of home made / store bought sambar powder. Add in a teaspoon of salt.
- Set your stove to medium high heat on a gas stove or your induction stove to 1200W. We are going to cook for exactly 5 minutes. Set up a timer in your mobile. Just 5 minutes irrespective of the number of whistles. You might end up getting 5-7 whistles.
- Wait for the pressure to release. Open the cooker. If there is a lot of liquid remaining in the cooker, just briefly simmer on high heat for a couple of minutes until the mixture is thick. Ignore this step if the mixture does not have liquid.
- Wait for the mixture to cool.
- Blend to a paste.
- Enjoy your thokku with rice, idli, dosa etc…
The term OPOS and One Pot One Shot are registered trademarks owned by Mr.Ramakrishnan. The recipes have been adapted from his OPOS Cookbook. They are used in Kannamma Cooks with prior permission. The recipes are an adaptation from the cookbook.
- Category: Chutney / Pickle
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu