Healthy Vegan Fenugreek stir-fry | Vendhaya keerai poriyal.
South Indian Tamilnadu Style Easy and healthy recipe for vendhaya keerai poriyal. Fenugreek stir fry using methi leaves. Iron rich food.
Vendhaya keerai poriyal with rice makes a perfect lunch. This recipe is very basic and quite straight forward and screams SOUTH. My mom cooks this every week as its a good source of iron. The only thing about fenugreek is that it can consume a good half hour to be cleaned. But good things take time. Dont they! What are we waiting for? Lets pump some iron. Shall we.
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole urad dhal
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 10 cloves Garlic diced
- 2 cups shallots or 2 red onions , chopped fine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 100 grams cleaned fenugreek leaves
- 4 tablespoon shredded coconut
- Clean and wash the fenugreek in water to remove dirt and sand.
- Heat oil in a saute pan and add mustard seeds and urad dhal. Let it pop.
- Once the mustard pops, add the curry leaves and red chillies and saute briefly for a few seconds.
- Add in the chopped garlic, salt, shallots/red onions and fry in a low flame for a good ten minutes until they are slightly brown.
- Add in the fenugreek leaves and fry till they are wilted and completely dry.
- Add the coconut and briefly saute for a minute and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with rice.