Vazhakkai Podimas – Plantain (Raw Banana) Stir Fry – Vegan
South indian style vazhakkai podimas / varuval recipe. Steamed plantain tempered in a fragrant spicy coconut masala. Makes a great side dish for sambar or rasam.
Plantain-vazhakkai is such a versatile vegetable that you can quickly whip up a curry, stir-fry, roast or even the quintessential south indian plantain chips. This recipe makes a podimas. Podimas is a rustic mashed veggie that is tempered with indian spices. This podimas is rich and flavorful with coconut and spices. Plantain is lets say a blank canvas. It needs that oomph to make it stand out. I use a fragrant dry roasted spice powder to add more flavor to this otherwise boring veggie.
I steam the plantains with the skin in a pressure cooker for 6-8 minutes (3 whistles). Then coarsely mash it and temper it with the spice masala. It makes a perfect side dish for a south indian lunch of sambar or rasam with rice.
- 2 teaspoon urad dal
- 6-8 Red Chillies
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 tablespoon fresh shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoon jaggery
- 1 inch strip of tamarind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 plantains steamed with skin,peeled and mashed
- 3 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 onion finely diced (optional)
- Dry roast all the ingredients for the spice powder on a low flame until golden brown. Keep aside.
- Dry roast the coconut on a low flame until golden brown . Dry roasting on a low flame is important as the ingredients can turn from brown to burnt very fast. Keep aside.
- Grind the above roasted ingredients along with raw jaggery, tamarind and salt to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Steam the plantains in a pressure cooker for 6-8 minutes. Peel and mash. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a saute pan. Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let it splutter.
- Add in the chopped onions if using and fry till golden.
- Add in the plantains and the ground masala.
- Saute for another 5 minutes in low flame so the masala coats evenly.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice.