Indian style recipe for Pasta with white sauce. Pasta dish flavoured with cheese, butter roux and vegetables. Easy to make Indo – Italian Recipe.
Pasta with white sauce and cheese is a much asked for dish at home. Its very easy to make and I sometimes make it lite by cutting down on the butter. If you want to cut down the calories, use olive oil instead of butter and skip the cheese. Any kind of pasta like spaghetti, penne or fusili can be used. Here is how to do Indian-Italian style pasta with white sauce recipe.
Bring couple of liters of water to a fast boil. Add in a teaspoon of salt. Add pasta and cook for 6-7 minutes stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside. This will give you perfectly Al-dente (firm) pasta. You can cook a bit longer to soften it a bit more if that’s what you like. I fall sightly on the softer side. Set aside.
Steam the veggies of your choice in a steamer for 10 minutes. Set aside. I have used peas and carrots today. You can use vegetables of your choice.
Making Roux and sauce
Heat a pan on a low flame and add in the butter and flour (maida).
Saute for a minute on a low flame. The roux will start to slightly foam and will have a very nutty aroma.
Add in the milk.
Add in chopped garlic and mix well on a low flame for a minute. The sauce will slowly thicken.
Add in the grated / chopped cheese, cracked black pepper and salt. I have used a combination of parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese. You can use whatever cheese you have on hand. Mozarella, Romano all works fine.
Note on salt: Go easy on the salt as the cheese is already salted. The pasta is also cooked in salty water. Its very easy to over salt pasta. So go easy on salt.
Add in the steamed veggies and the pasta. Saute for a minute, so the sauce will coat well on the pasta.
Serve immediately. The pasta tends to become dry if not consumed immediately.
- 1 cup dry pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mixed vegetables
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 heaped tablespoon all purpose flour (maida)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup cheese (like parmesan, mozzarella and cheddar)
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Boil the pasta in salted water. Cook for 6-7 minutes stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.
- Steam the veggies. Set aside.
- Heat a pan on a low flame and add in the butter and flour (maida). Saute for a minute on a low flame. Add in the milk. Add in chopped garlic and mix well on a low flame for a minute.
- Add in the cheese, cracked black pepper and salt.
- Add in the steamed veggies and the pasta. Saute for a minute, so the sauce will coat well on the pasta.
- Serve immediately.