As they say, Idli is a word. Podi Idli is an emotion. This was my school lunch box favorite when I was young and it is becoming one of the staple snack for my son in school. He just loves it. Mini idlies coated in a rich podi or lentil masala. Who doesn’t love it? Its so comforting. It travels well too. I know many families who wont travel without packing podi idlies for a long travel. Its quick and can be made in minutes.
There are two kinds of people in this world. People who prefer ghee for their podi and people who prefer sesame oil (nallennai). I like them both. My favorite has got to be the idlies coated in sesame oil. Its so nutty and aromatic. Podi idli is all you need to save yourself from this world.
Here is a little video of how to coat idlies in podi. Hope you like it.Print
- 15 mini Idlies
- 4 teaspoon Idli Podi
- 4 teaspoon Sesame Oil or Ghee
- 2 teaspoon chopped curry leaves
- Take a bowl and add in the idlies and 2 teaspoon of idli podi and 2 teaspoon of oil. Toss well to coat. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and add in the chopped curry leaves. Saute for 10 seconds.
- Add in the idli mixture. Add in the remaining Podi in 2-3 intervals making sure the idlies are nicely coated and podi is fully absorbed before adding more podi.
- Switch off the heat.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu