This Vegetable Omelette recipe again is borrowed from Sither, the naturopathy pioneer from Thanjavur, Tamilnadu. This recipe is made with sprouted lentils, ladies finger (okra) and veggies. He calls this as a veg omelette. Its more like a sprouted adai if you may call it. The ladies finger (okra) paste gives the texture to the omelette. Its super healthy and makes for a very filling breakfast. Do give it a try.
Soak the moong dal, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in water over nite. Drain the water and allow it to sprout for a day. To know more about how to sprout grains, read here.
For the batter
Take a mixie jar and grind the sprouted lentils and roughly chopped ladies finger. Add about half a cup of water to grind. Do not add too much water. After grinding, the mixture will be slimy. That’s fine. Remove the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
Add in the finely shredded veggies (use veggies of your choice), green chillies, freshly ground black pepper and salt. Mix well. If the batter is very thick, thin it out with little water. The consistency of batter should be slightly thicker than idli batter.
Heat a dosa griddle until hot on medium flame. Ladle half a cup of batter and spread it on the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of oil.
Flip the omelette once after a minute. Cook the omelette for about a minute on each side, until golden.
Note: Do not make the omelettes big. It will be difficult to flip and may tear. Keep the size of the omelettes small. Also cook well until the omelette is well cooked and golden on both sides. The middle of the omelette, if poked with a fork should be dry and not raw!
Serve hot with peanut chutney.
Veg Omelette with Sprouted Grains and Ladies Finger
Healthy Breakfast recipe for Vegetable Omelette with sprouted grains and ladies finger. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- Total Time: 24 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 10 small omelettes 1x
- 1 Cup Green Moong Lentil
- 2 tablespoon Black Urad Dal
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 6–7 Ladies Finger
- 1 Cup shredded veggies ( Cabbage, Carrot, Knol Khol, Beans, Beetroot etc…)
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2–3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- Sesame Oil (Indian Gingely oil) for greasing the griddle
- Soak the moong dal, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in water over nite. Drain the water and allow it to sprout for a day.
- Take a mixie jar and grind the sprouted lentils and roughly chopped ladies finger. Add about half a cup of water to grind. Remove the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Add in the finely shredded veggies, green chillies, freshly ground black pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Heat a dosa griddle until hot on medium flame. Ladle half a cup of batter and spread it on the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of oil.
- Flip the omelette once after a minute. Cook the omelette for about a minute on each side, until golden.
- Serve hot with peanut chutney.
- Prep Time: 24 hours
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu
8 thoughts on “Vegetable Omelette with Sprouted Grains and Ladies Finger”
Frequently i go through your site…this recipe i had bookmarked in my mind.Without refering twice…I went on to grind moong dal sprout and okra….added little bit suji and made a cute dosa…loved it…Next time I will add veggies to make it more gud!!!!…thanx for this wonderful recipe…
I tried sprouted grain veg omelet yesterday it comes very well the taste is so nice . In sprouted grain I will make gravies but this is different and simple and good taste and suitable for evening snacks
Obviously this a very nice and healthy as well as economical recipe.
Dear Suguna, this is a lovely recipe! Would you add a little ginger for flavor or would the onions take care of that?
I did not add any ginger. You may if you like.